Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Websites to Inspire Creative Language: Installment One

I have seen some amazing resources on Pinterest and other speech/language blogs that make my jaw drop!  I only wish I could be that creative!  The truth is, I am a full time SLP and mom and there are days when I just don't have the time or energy to create and prep!  I applaud and appreciate those who do!  However, sometimes you have to have other go to resources.  In the days before the iPad, which really wasn't all that long ago, I discovered some wonderful free resources to stimulate creative language and support writing.  I still feel there is a place for these resources, especially if you are lucky enough to have access to an interactive whiteboard!  They are accessible for those of you who do not have an iPad or not enough to go around!  The best part is they are FREE!  Here is the first installment!  Check back this week as I highlight more of my favorites!

PicLits

PicLits.com is a creative writing site that matches beautiful images with carefully selected keywords in order to inspire you. The object is to put the words in the correct place and the right order to capture the essence, story, and meaning of the picture. 

I have used Piclits for story starters, inferencing, working on parts of speech and addressing grammar, as well as word structure.  Piclit allows for support on various levels as well.   A student can create by using the Drag-N-Drop word bank feature or Freestyle which allows them to write freely.  Other great features include that you can save them for documentation purposes or email and share with parents!



Here is an example written by one of my language students today!


No comments:

Post a Comment