Thursday, May 17, 2012

Websites to Inspire Creative Language:  Installment Two




My Wordle from philosofry.blogspot.com

Wordle.net

Wordle.net is an amazingly versatile website!  Wordle is a tool for generating word clouds from words you input.  You can type in the words, use a URL from a website or blog, or enter a del.icio.us user name to create your own.  The more times  a word is used, the bigger it will appear in your word cloud!I have used it for poetry, vocabulary, main idea and articulation words.  I especially like using it with my older students.  They seem to appreciate the artistic component of it!  I have emailed or printed this wonderful creations for my students and they are amazingly proud of their work!




Wordle allows you to choose layout and colors.  You can also publish it to a public gallery.  I usually take a screen shot and then either print it or email to parents or teachers. 

Here is an example of a haiku written by a 6th grade boy for a Media project.  The student was struggling with this assignment and became much more motivated when he was allowed to type it into Wordle.


Have fun trying out this creative and engaging tool!

No comments:

Post a Comment